What does equity mean, anyways?
In order to dismantle deeply rooted social and economic disparities, we must be intentional about addressing systemic inequities. Yet it can be difficult to quantify equity or to make this work tangible. One strategy is crafting and implementing equitable policies and practices in our institutions. In this workshop, join Metro Human Relations Commission Executive Director (and former ACLU lawyer), Mel Fowler-Green, to learn why an equity framework is important, how it can lead to systemic change, and how to implement and evaluate equitable policies and practices in your organization and community. This workshop will also include facilitated discussion about what a Nashville-centric equity framework might look like.
Topics Addressed: collective impact, equity, systems change
Course Level: Intermediate
Who should attend:
- Nonprofit board members or leaders wanting to learn more about equity.
- Executives looking for strategies to implement Collective Impact in their nonprofit.
- CNM Members working toward their Collective Impact Certificate.
Method of Facilitation: lecture, group discussion, group activities
This work will amplify the impact of nonprofits by helping participants:
- Learn what the basics of equity frameworks are and why they matter.
- Understand what barriers Nashville organizations are facing in achieving equity.
- Explore tools for how to implement equity processes in your organization.
Quotes from previous participants: "Excellent content, tools, facilitation and discussion!"
If you are interested in the Collective Impact Certificate:
To enroll in the Collective Impact Certificate, members must enroll in the following courses:
Certificate: CNM Collective Impact:
either Spring (https://scooter.cnm.org/CourseCalendarDetail.aspx?id=3713)
or Fall (https://scooter.cnm.org/CourseCalendarDetail.aspx?id=3714)
*Once you are enrolled in the Certificate, CNM will register you for the core classes (Introduction to Collective Impact, Implementing Equity Frameworks, and Community Engagement). Registering for the core classes individually does not put you in the certificate.
Elective (chose two):
Gathering Data Equitably
Building Your Equity Lens