Job title: Accounting Intern
Reports to: Vice President of Finance & Operations
Wage Scale: $10to $12.50 per hour
Schedule: 10to 15 hours per week
The Accounting Intern has responsibility for accurate and timely completion of accounting work for PENCIL and Pencil's fiscal service client, including accounts payable (AP), cash receipts (CR), and basic payroll data (PR). Timely and accurate completion of all accounting transactions is critical, as is a solid understanding of accounting principles. Attention to detail is a must.
Specific activities related to processing of accounting transactions include:
· Recording all deposit items in the accounting software to accurately reflect their account coding classifications, dates and names
· Assuring proper approval on all AP items, entering AP invoices and preparing AP checks weekly; attention to dates, account coding and vendor names is critical
· Collection of timesheets and other payroll data; review and entry of timesheet data
· Ability to review work, find and correct any errors to present completed work that is 100%accurate
This position may also engage with other activities related to the finance and administrative function such as:
· Maintaining accounting/finance/human resource paperwork in an orderly manner to easily facilitate access by other staff members
· Preparing monthly invoices for contracts/grants which require it
· Maintaining office supply inventory for the company
· Completing other special assignments as needed such as audit preparation, budget analysis, specific financial analysis projects
Pencil's Team Values:
Our work is guided by the needs of Metro Nashville Public Schools, is student centric, and is achieved through partnerships and tangible engagements.
As the PENCIL team, we will:
· Be collaborative and transparent
· Act with integrity
· Demonstrate kindness and gratitude
· EDUCATION- pursuit of a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
· SKILLS- knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP); exceptional attention to details and accuracy on all tasks; strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel; knowledge of accounting systems is highly preferred; ability to multi-task and meet deadlines; strong communication skills and the willingness to ask for guidance when needed
Environmental Conditions & Physical Demands:
· Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials.
· Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily administrative nature.
· The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
· The employee is required to see, sit, stand, walk, climb and balance.
Work schedule/hours: flexible hours with preference for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday availability between 9am and 3pm
Disclaimer: This job profile is not intended to be all-inclusive of tasks required, it is to provide a general description of essential job responsibilities.