Cheekwood is seeking creative, energetic, and positive individuals to instruct in a summer day camp program for children ages 2 and up. Summer camp instructors will be responsible for facilitating age-appropriate lessons, activities, and games that reflect course offerings in the visual arts and horticulture.
· Instruct summer camps utilizing age-appropriate lessons, activities, and games in assigned studio arts, nature and/or gardening or other camps.
· Provides a written curriculum for approval upon class assignment. Curriculum clearly outlines projects and material lists. Adapts when materials available differ from those requested.
· Responsible for set up and clean up after session including changing/replacing paper,returning supplies to the designated areas, cleaning supplies (brushes, paint containers, etc.).
· Arrive at least 15 minutes before camp begins.
· Act as the primary supervisor of students during camp hours.
· Actively participate in student tours and other programs facilitated by volunteers.
· Provide instruction to interns or volunteers assisting in the classroom.
· Administers basic first aid when necessary.
· Create a positive environment that encourages active learning for campers.
· Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have a Teaching Certification and a Bachelor’s degree in Studio Arts, Horticulture, or related art educational field. Must have knowledge of basic teaching methods, as well as non-traditional techniques for early childhood development, ability to follow written and oral instructions, work well without direct supervision, time management skills, a desire to work with children, excellent communication skills with the ability to work well with others, able to respond to emergency situations calmly and follow protocols and responsible attitude and professionalism towards career is essential.
Required Work Schedule and Hours: Summer Camp dates: June 4th- August 3rd 2018 (excluding the week of July 4th).Candidates must commit to a Monday through Friday schedule of either morning sessions, 9:00am-12:00pm or afternoon camp sessions 1:00pm-4:00pm.