Legal Aid Society has an opening for an Attorney in its Clarksville office. The attorney will provide legal representation to income-eligible clients in general civil cases; practice areas include housing, consumer, elder law, health and benefit law, employment law and re-entry issues. As part of a holistic approach, representation may also include varying areas of law as needed, administrative advocacy, and community education for clients in accordance with program guidelines and priorities and the Code of Professional Responsibility. Provide administrative case information as requested by specific funders.
· Law school graduate.
· Admitted to practice in Tennessee.
· Demonstrated interest in public interest law and the problems of disadvantaged communities.
· Has substantive experience required for work under a specific funding source or in a specialized unit.
· Ability to relate to the needs of people of diverse backgrounds and adhere to confidentiality standards.
· Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Experience in public speaking and training others on the law.
· Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and Legal Files database. Ability to learn new computer skills.
· Must have driver’s license and access to transportation.
· Fluency in written and spoken Spanish a plus.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Excellent benefits and loan forgiveness.
Legal Aid Society has thirty-seven attorneys in eight offices in Middle and East Tennessee. Its attorneys provide low-income people expert legal assistance at all levels of state and federal court. Its staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.