The Volunteer Outreach Leader (Leader) participates in a yearlong term of service (1,700 hours) supporting volunteer recruitment, engagement, and retention efforts at Hands On Nashville (HON), which builds capacity for individuals and agencies to meet needs through volunteerism.
The Leader conducts outreach to recruit and retain volunteers, provides technical support, and develops and improves systems for tracking service hours. HON is looking for an energetic, creative leader who can engage with a wide variety of constituencies to recruit volunteers for our partners.
The candidate should be able to provide excellent customer service through effective written and verbal communication, and be able to adapt to a changing workload in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Engages with volunteers at projects, and uses photography and written storytelling to showcase the work they are doing in the community.
• Creates a framework for volunteer database maintenance, and implements system improvements in alignment with the agency's strategic objectives.
• Provides technical assistance for volunteers using HON's website, and conducts ongoing phone and email communication with volunteers.
• Assists with volunteer-related workshops and training sessions, as well as the development of new training sessions and program initiatives.
• Researches new avenues and platforms for volunteer recruitment, engagement, and retention.
• Develops a system for organizing and archiving volunteer project photos and information.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
• Community Organizing
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and/or Google-based office apps
• Attention to detail
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to operate independently and within a team environment
• Commitment to fulfill a one-year term of service (August 2019 – August 2020)
• Bachelor’s Degree
• U.S. Citizenship
• Valid driver’s license and reliable access to transportation
(Members will be reimbursed for service-related mileage.)
• National Service Criminal History Check clearance
• Living allowance of $17,000, paid bi-weekly throughout the term of service
• Education award of $6,095, applicable to student loans and/or future education expenses at accredited institution, upon fulfillment of service obligations
• Healthcare coverage, if elected
• Child care benefits, if eligible
• Professional development training
• Members serve an average of 35-40 hours per week
• Service activities will take place indoors and outdoors
• Members may be required to sit or stand for long periods of time
About the Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program
Hands On Nashville's AmeriCorps Program engages civic-minded individuals in yearlong terms of public service. HON AmeriCorps members are part of a 17-person cohort that receives skills training, professional development, and networking opportunities through a partnership between HON and participating AmeriCorps Program agencies.
The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through generous support from Volunteer Tennessee and the Dan and Margaret Maddox Charitable Fund.
Hands On Nashville does not discriminate based on age, skin color, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, disability, or other factors which deny the essential humanity of all people.