Statistical Research Specialist
TennCare is Tennessee's managed care Medicaid program that provides health insurance coverage to certain groups of low-income individuals such as pregnant women, children, caretaker relatives of young children, older adults, and adults with physical disabilities. TennCare provides coverage for approximately 1.3 million Tennesseans and operates with an annual budget of approximately $12 billion. It is run by the Division of TennCare with oversight and some funding from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
WHY WORK AT TENNCARE?
TennCare’s mission is to improve the lives of Tennesseans by providing high-quality cost-effective care. To fulfill that purpose, we equip each employee for active participation and empower teams to communicate and work collaboratively to improve organizational processes in order to make a difference in the lives our members. Because of the positive impact TennCare has on the lives of the most vulnerable Tennesseans, TennCare employees report that their work provides them with a sense of meaning, purpose, and accomplishment. TennCare leadership understands that employees are our most valuable resource and ensures professional and leadership development are a priority for the agency.
JOB AND DEPARTMENTAL OVERVIEW
Operationally, the Value Based Purchasing team works closely with other teams within Long Term Services and Supports (LTSS) to lead development and execution of comprehensive Value Based Payment strategy. Additionally, the VBP team plays a strategic role in LTSS initiatives focused on improving member outcomes, and quality of life experience. The VBP team works closely with other divisions within TennCare and TennCare’ s contracted organizations to provide oversight of quality performance and data reporting for members receiving services from LTSS initiatives. The Statistical Research Specialist will be a key member of the VBP team whose primary responsibilities include leveraging data to provide insights for quality improvement, support leadership in the monitoring, evaluation, and analysis of provider, member, and programmatic data on all Value Based Purchasing Initiatives.
- Leverage data and analytics to meet quality reporting requirements and provide insights for performance and quality improvement.
o Design, update, and manage existing and new report templates and reports that contain quality and compliance and provider performance data using Excel, Access, existing database systems/tools, and other data visualization and data management tools.
o Evaluate quality measures at the contractor, individual provider, or aggregate level using relevant information, individual judgment, and state/federal specifications;
o Coordinate and support submission of yearly quality reporting metrics;
o Provide analytical expertise to review and summarize complex reports and data upon request;
o Query, collect, prepare, and safeguard data or information necessary for CMS, legislative, and other reports;
o Analyze and trend data to assess program participation and programmatic progress;
o Design and complete complex cost and outcome projections for various Long-Term Supports and Services programs;
o Compile and analyzing data to provide answers to user requests;
o Perform descriptive, predictive, and inferential statistical analyses;
o Estimate enrollment counts, expenditures, and trends;
o Complete data request projects in a timely manner;
o Collaborate with management and internal teams to implement and evaluate improvements.
- Partner with program leads and the Director of Value Based Purchasing to support leadership in the monitoring, evaluation, and analysis of provider, member, and programmatic data.
o Present relevant reporting information or quality data, both formally and informally, to small and large groups;
o Support LTSS and leadership in quality strategy development;
o Handle special projects as assigned by LTSS leadership;
o Provide analytical support for the LTSS teams.
- Develop methodology, SAS programming, and data visualization aids to provide actionable data to key stakeholders to inform TennCare strategic planning, evaluate the quality of care received by members, and improve contractor performance.
- Develop and implement business processes to support audits and reporting initiatives, including operations manuals and procedures.
- Develop IT systems and processes to support LTSS business needs.
Education and Experience:
· A bachelor’s degree in in a quantitative discipline (i.e. statistics, applied statistics, mathematics, biostatistics, economics, epidemiology, computer science, social or behavioral sciences, health sciences, business, business administration, or public policy) and 4+ years of professional work in reporting methodology, developing research methodology, quantitative analysis, quality measurement, healthcare informatics, and/or directing statistical research.
· Substitution of Education for Work Experience:
Each year of additional graduate course work in a quantitative discipline (aforementioned above) may substitute for a year of required experience.
Required Core Competencies:
· Keen data analytics aptitude, including advanced Excel skills with the ability to analyze, visualize, and summarize data through the use of formulas and pivot tables;
· Strong computer skills including mastery of Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Access, Word, and Power Point, as well as statistical software applications;
· Highly developed written and verbal communication and presentation skills, including technical writing; ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical clients;
· Data-driven and analytical in approach to solving problems;
· Demonstrated capacity to successfully navigate within a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities and varying degrees of ambiguity;
· Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize, multi-task, and manage workload to meet specific timeframes and deadlines;
· Flexible and adaptable; ability to adjust plans based on new learning and/or changing program goals;
· Independent and resourceful.
· Experience in the healthcare field;
· Knowledge of health care information;
· Possesses a graduate level or higher degree in a quantitative discipline.
· Experience in Tableau or related data visualization software;
· Strong understanding and utilization of SAS and/or SQL.
Job Location: Nashville, Tennessee
How to Apply: Qualified candidates should send their resumes along with a cover letter to Indrani.Ray@tn.gov by 8/28/2019.
Position Status: Executive Service
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.