Homeless Outreach Worker
Director of Homeless Outreach Services
Responsible for providing street outreach to individuals who are experiencing literal homelessness (on streets, in campsites, under bridges and other places not meant for humans to be living). Outreach responsibilities include: engaging in basic conversation, assessing an individual’s needs, discussing available services including housing and disability assistance, providing informal one-on-one care, making referrals to other service providers or agencies and engaging in other activities that may promote recovery or stability for the individual; offer assessment and recovery services for persons with co-occurring disorders of mental illness and substance use disorders.
- Conducts outreach to individuals experiencing homelessness in Davidson County in order to assist in connection to housing, income, insurance and mainstream services.
- Establishes rapport with individuals who are experiencing homelessness and gathers information in order to serve them better. Trust building activities like meeting the client where they are—from campsites to community feedings—is emphasized.
- Completes required documentation for outreach services and referrals including documentation in necessary databases.
- Completes appropriate referrals for services and treatment. Assists in linking individuals to resources, including transporting clients, as needed.
- Coordinates with the Vanderbilt Street Psychiatry Program to connect members to their services.
2. Values cultural competence and diversity
A. Collaborates with staff, members, and the community to gain the perspectives of others having diverse opinions, abilities, values, beliefs, perspectives, and ethnic or cultural backgrounds.
B. Takes deliberate steps to increase own cultural competency by attending trainings, events, discussions, workshops, etc.
- Other duties
- Attends local community meetings regarding homeless services and advocacy including How’s Nashville housing navigator meetings, Outreach meetings, Nashville Coalition for the Homeless meetings, Coordinated Entry Care Coordination meetings, etc.
- Participates in other Park Center agency activities such as special events and working designated holidays, including Thanksgiving or Christmas, as scheduled.
i. Participates in annual Point in Time Count which involves working overnight to take a census of the local homeless population.
- Adheres to all program policies and procedures.
- Will be cross trained in other job duties, such as SOAR and housing navigation, to act as a support person to co-workers on the outreach team.
- Completes all other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Sociology, Social Work or related field.
· Must have at least 1-year prior experience in serving individuals experiencing mental illness, substance use and/or homelessness, preferably in Nashville.
· Strong ability to work within a team with flexibility to help with coverage.
· Strong time management skills and ability to independently meet deadlines.
· Strong communication skills and ability to foster partnerships with other providers.
· Ability to work in a professional and ethical manner.
· Must have proven written and verbal communication skills and computer literacy.
· Must have a valid drivers’ license
· Must be able to show proof of personal automobile insurance.
· Must be insurable under Park Center's automobile insurance.
· Will have a desk, workstation, and a shared office
· Able to operate with many distractions
· Routine office environment
· Spends majority of time “in the field” including at other community agencies and where homeless individuals spend time.
· Able to use vehicle to transport clients
· Able to sit or stand for long periods of time
· Able to move or lift to ten pounds
· Able to climb inclines such as under bridges
· Able to walk on unsteady ground such as in the woods to reach encampments
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the employee will be expected to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned. Park Center reserves the right to revise or change job tasks and responsibilities.