GPD-Aftercare Case Manager
Position: Full Time / Regular Exempt
Supervisor: Clinical Services Manager
Description: The GPD-Aftercare Case Manager at Operation Stand Down Tennessee will be responsible for the provision of a full-range of case management services for a caseload of approximately 20-25 Veterans exiting VA Grant and Per Diem (GPD)/ Healthcare for Homeless Veterans (HCHV) transitional housing into independent, permanent, and affordable housing. The GPD-Aftercare CM will work cooperatively with the GPD/HCHV transitional housing staff of partner agencies on the Veterans housing plan while housing is secured and then take over primary responsibilities for the remaining six month period of the Veterans transition into independent housing. The GPD-CM will continuously work independently and with VA/ partner agency staff to develop access to community services and resources for newly housed Veterans. The GPD-Aftercare CM will be responsible to maintain necessary liaison relationships with assigned partner agencies GPD/HCHV staff and administration as well as appropriate VA Liaison staff.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Completes a full range of social work/ case management activities with formerly homeless Veterans exiting transitional housing services: Intake and Assessment, Care Planning (develop, monitor, update and revise), Referral, Liaison/Brokering, Education and Advocacy.
2. Through direct linkage, advocacy, education, and support, implements and updates with the Veteran a comprehensive Treatment Plan to secure and/or maintain access to and use of:
a. Housing and Housing Resources;
b. Income and Employment Resources; and
c. Community Social Services and Resources.
3. Facilitates pro-active relationship with and problem solving between Veteran and landlord to include recognition of Tenant Rights and Responsibilities.
4. Assists in the process of securing and maintaining needed program(s) eligibility documentation.
5. Maintains needed documentation of services rendered to include: contacts, units, progress notes, assessments, treatment plans and outcomes.
6. Maintains work consistent with Department/Team Quality Assurance Standards.
Coordination with Partner Agencies
1. Participate in scheduled Clinical staffing and case consultations
2. Where appropriate, participation in partner agency educational groups and activities focused to housing related issues, especially Tenant Rights presentations.
3. Provide relevant / updated individual and aggregate data concerning Veterans served in program
Resource Identification / Outreach:
1. Identify, establish and/or maintain contact with key housing services/resources providers that support permanent housing placement.
2. Identify, establish and/or maintain contact with key veteran and social services providers of services that supporting client long-term permanent housing stability.
1. Adheres to Agency and Department policies and procedures
2. Participates in Agency and Department meetings and events, collection of data/information, and Quality Improvement Monitoring and Review.
3. Performs other duties as designated by supervisor or agency
Qualifications / Knowledge
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be punctual and timely in meeting all requirements of performance, including, but not limited to, attendance standards and work deadlines; beginning and ending assignments on time; and scheduling work breaks, where applicable.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Confidentiality – Exercises discretion in all aspects of work; Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information; Demonstrates ability to interact with colleagues while maintaining confidentiality on all matters.
Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
Design - Generates creative solutions; Demonstrates attention to detail.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Customer Service - Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Liaison – Communicates clearly between internal staff and external service providers to facilitate accuracy of data and effective, efficient processes.
External Working Relationships – Develops and maintains courteous and effective working relationships with clients, vendors and/or any other representatives of external organizations.
Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures.
Flexibility – Capable of responding to and anticipating rapidly changing external and internal demands without diminishment in work performance; demonstrates professionalism during periods of organizational change.
Safety and Security – All employees are responsible for observing safety and security procedures as applicable and reporting potentially unsafe conditions to management.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor degree in social work / human services and/or commensurate two or more years of experience in community case management / social services.
2. Strong preference for those candidates who have MSW / MA in human services.
3. Strong preference for those candidates with experience working with Veterans and/or comprehensive knowledge of regional veteran services.
4. Strong preference for those candidates with experience housing and homelessness and related social services and resources.
Ability to communicate, read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from, clients, customers, and the general public.
An individual should have knowledge of: Spreadsheet Software (Excel and Pivot Tables); Word Processing Software (Word); Electronic Mail Software (Outlook); Presentation software (PowerPoint).
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Possess valid, current Tennessee Driver’s License.
OTHER SKILL, ABILITIES, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Veteran preferred.
• Excellent organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills.
• Broad capacity for global thinking and creative problem solving.
• Compassionate, energetic and team focused.
• Comfortable in individual, group and public speaking environments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.